Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Why a Landfill?

Well, when I decided to enter the blog-o-sphere I figured that most of what is out there is garbage and that my stuff should probably just be added to the landfill.

Even though they are smelly and taking over the world, I have some respect for landfills as well. For example, when we lived in California, we lived next to a community that was built on a landfill (Foster City). We went to church there and shopped there and wished we could afford to live there because it was really beautiful with waterways and great homes. Good things can grow from landfills.

Also, there are a lot of things in landfills that don't belong there. For example, in about 1969 my mom got a fabulous emerald ring for Christmas. Emerald is her birthstone and she had always wanted one so when she had her diamond reset in a new setting, she got an emerald put in the old setting for a Christmas present to her from her (as most of her presents were). She is also quite famous for cleaning up after Christmas quickly and thoroughly. By mid-afternoon she realized that she couldn't find her new ring. We looked through the trash and the ashes in the fireplace (because we burned the wrapping paper) but never found it. It made it to a landfill.

Additionally there are a lot of recyclables in landfills. I think perhaps some of what is in my blog may be recyclable. Perhaps someone can use it for something sometime.

Finally, I had a great-aunt Lillie who didn't believe in landfills, I suppose, since she never threw anything away. She kept every card and letter she ever received. She kept magazines. She did throw away newspapers but only after she had clipped out every article or ad or coupon of interest. She washed and reused aluminium foil and plastic food bags and paper plates and plastic cutlery. She kept egg cartons. She kept the styrofoam trays that meat comes on to use as dishes for cat food. I'm not sure how many cats she expected to have as there were thousands of them stacked in the back room and the ones she used for the cats were rinsed and reused and rarely thrown out. She kept string and twist ties and food scraps (for her cats). She kept empty jars of all kinds (perfume, food, ointments). Paper was always used on both sides before being thrown away. She kept basically EVERYTHING! While I loved her immensely, I did not appreciate having to go through everything she kept after she died. I maintain that she needed to have a little more respect for landfills.

With all that said, this is my landfill and I will toss all sorts of junk into it as I please. Perhaps there will be emeralds or recyclables or it may just be garbage but later something great could be built on top of it. Feel free to add to the heap! When it's full, we will bulldoze it under and use it for something else. OK?

6 comments:

  1. uh...hello?? Were you going to announce that you have started a fabulous blog??

    I love it! :) Welcome to the blogger world and what a wonderful first post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I haven't finished the blog site yet so I wasn't going to announce it until it was ready for public consumption. I can't believe you found it! And I'm glad you liked it. Unfortunately it doesn't have any pictures but I am definitely not a cool as my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to respond to that, if I may, by saying: Why wasn't I informed of this blog's existence, finished or not? And don't you know that any coolness I may possess was learned either directly or indirectly from you? Just fact, that's all. I LOVED THE LANDFILL POST!! Loved it, do you hear me? And you're absolutely right, no one should be required to have Martha Stewart in their mailbox if they didn't specifically order it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it because you commented on Susan's blog and the comment about Martha Stewart sounded way too much like you to be any one except you :)

    Actually as soon as I posted a comment and then I checked back later I realized that you were still working on it. I'm still glad you have come to join us all - it's about time! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found it too...and it is great! I can't wait to see what treasures you add to it. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that I hardly ever went down in that basement...seriously, used meat trays. yuck.

    ReplyDelete