Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Back to Work I Go!

I started back to work on Tuesday. My first day back lasted 2 hours. During that time I cleaned my cubical and put up some pictures, put all my stuff in the drawers, and had my picture taken for my badge. Then I sketched some floor plans of the American Fork house that I am planning to use in an upcoming blog post. Even though they had put off my coming back for a week so they could get everything ready for me, nothing was ready. I didn't have a chair. I didn't have a computer. I finally just asked if I could go home and my boss said go. Not a very auspicious beginning.

I still don't have a computer even though I did manage to stay a full 8 hours today doing a few things for some other people and looking over existing process maps to get a handle on the processes I will be working on. I probably won't have a computer tomorrow either. It always seems to be like this at the beginning of a contract no matter how long they have to prepare for me to start. One interesting piece of news is that the project is scheduled to be completed in December so I will probably be at the job through the end of the year again. Yeah!

One other thing about going back to work that made me happy was that everyone seemed genuinely pleased to have me back. Even people I didn't work that closely with greeted me enthusiastically. Other people that I was newly introduced to said "Oh, you're the Lisa I've heard so much about"! It was quite a rush and I can always use some encouragement in the inter-personal skills department. So, at least for the first two days, it's good to be back to work. No guarantees about next week...

2 comments:

  1. Well yay! I'm glad they are happy to have you back, who wouldn't be?! See you this weekend! I think we will leave early Friday so we can make it there by dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to count for something that they are excited to have you back :) Now, if only they'd offer you a permanent position.

    And good news about probably being there until the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete