Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine's Day Resolutions

OK, so I'm a little late with the resolution thing but I do want to declare one for this year even if it is late. I am going to have one new idea everyday this year. I have found myself thinking the same things over and over and I am sick of it! So I decided I needed some new thoughts. Most of these thoughts will probably come as I am reading scriptures because I am trying to be more diligent in thinking about what I am reading. But I hope some of the thoughts and ideas will be in the creative realm as well.

It seems that I haven't thought of a new thing in a long time let alone tried a new thing. This makes for a very dull life. My life is certainly proof of that. One thing I have done so far this year is read 2 books that I should have read long ago. I read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. They are both excellent by the way and within the first few pages I could see why they are classics. They draw you in and immerse you in a new world. I loved them and asked myself why I don't read more books? Because my life is dull and I don't think or do anything new. The other thing I realized in reading these books is that my vocabulary is very poor-a thing which I had not wanted to admit but had suspected for some time now. Perhaps adding words to my vocabulary will be included in the new ideas and thoughts.

I know that my sister (Susan) told me several years ago that she has so many ideas for crafts, recipes, all sorts of things that she can't even keep track of them or write them down fast enough. It was like she was speaking a foreign language to me. I could not understand it. But if you go to her
blog, you will see what these ideas have become. She and I are very similar in some ways but very different in others-in the idea way at least. I know she also told me that as she does more art, she has more ideas. So that may be part of my problem. You have to use the ideas you have in order to get more. A good thing to remember in light of my Valentine's Day Resolution.

So here's to a year of new ideas. Most of them will probably end up in the landfill anyway... If you have any you would like to share with me, feel free!

4 comments:

  1. well well well ... very nice. thanks for sharing your ideas. I have no ideas to share here for now. But in the words of John - has there ever been an original thought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll say it again -- I LOVE your blog. I'm excited to start hearing some of your ideas, so please post them. The beauty of having a lot of them is that 99.5% can be outright duds (and will be, if my experience is universal in any way) and it's okay because there are one or two good ones. And bravo on the reading thing! That's something I could be much better about. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Lisa's Landfill! I just started my February Resolution today! I typed and deleted about 15 sentences just now trying to decide what, if any thought I might have. I am trying to change the way I think and the thoughts I have too. Part of that for me is to challenge myself like I have never challenged myself before which as you know is this workout program I am going to do. I took the "fitness test" tonight to see if I can even do the program and I will tell you it was not pretty and honestly right when I started, my immediate thought was...no way! There is no way I can do this program! Well guess what, I finished and passed the fitness test! Granted, I vomited right after wards but hey, I pushed myself to the point of vomit and that is new territory for me. Gross, but new :) Keep reading, keep writing, keep thinking, keep creating. I love love love the trash heap so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! I've spent the last two days working on making jewelry, and the more I've been making the more ideas I have gotten. So far I have three new earrings and a new bracelet. Start acting on the ideas and more will come :)

    ReplyDelete