Tuesday, June 30, 2009

There are limits...

Yesterday I found I had reached my limit. I knew I had all sorts of limits such as physical strength, musical abilities (conducting the Messiah), and intellect but I had never hit my BS limit (or BH for bull honkey as the girls called it when they were young). Since I have spent 20 years (and several years before that in school) writing a great deal about topics that I don’t really know anything about, I thought that perhaps my capacity for BH was unlimited. It isn’t.

I had to do a training topic on entering an expense report in the system at work. I had a copy of the topic that was pretty close to correct to use as a guide. By about 3 p.m. I was completely lost. I had reached my limit. It didn’t help that at about 1 p.m. my application crashed and I lost the entire morning’s worth of work so I had to start over. This application is a little flakey and you have to save often which I had forgotten having not used it for a while. After I went to the Ladies Room and cried I came back and bravely started over. I recaptured my work fairly quickly. Then I hit the wall.

I persevered in my very best BH fashion, but by 9 p.m. I was mentally (and physically) exhausted so I headed home not having finished and not convinced I could finish. It was disheartening to realize that even my capacity for BH upon which I have built a career has its limits.

I headed to work early today determined to conquer or die trying. I am proud to say that I did send off a complete topic of BH to be reviewed. I believe it will be ripped to shreds by the reviewers but at least I finished it. I guess we can add Queen of BH to my other title of Funk Master!

5 comments:

  1. hahaha...BULL HONKEY! That phrase was taboo if I recall, but it could have been worse! I must say I was pretty good at BH myself in the day. I made a career of it in High School, but I am afraid I have lost the touch. So, congrats on holding on to your talent of BH & making people believe it for a living!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I must've gotten that wonderful BH gene from someone :)

    I shudder to think of the day when I hit my BH limit- it has come in handy so much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are paying you to spout this stuff, and that's all that matters, right? Dad has wished he could be paid for spewing questionable "facts" his entire life -- you're living the dream! Don't lose your nerve now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But wait, I think dad did get paid lots of money for spewing questionable facts...I could be wrong but when he was made CFO I was pretty sure that he must be full of BH and really good at selling it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missed this one too - weird. So how did it turn out? Get in "trouble" for it at all?

    ReplyDelete